Coach Fox: Playoffs 'great opportunity' for Broncos | News
DENVER -- Broncos head coach John Fox called the fact that his team made the playoffs a "great opportunity" during his weekly Monday meeting with the media.
"We're one of 12 teams (in the playoffs)...what we make of it, time will tell."
"If somebody would've told me back in late July that we'd win the AFC West and be in the playoffs, I'd have taken it," Fox said.
Denver lost its last three games of the regular season, including a dismal offensive performance in Sunday's 7-3 loss to the Kyle Orton-led Kansas City Chiefs Sunday.
An informal FOX31 Denver poll on KDVR.com asked fans if they think the Broncos will advance past the first round of the playoffs. Nearly 75-percent of those who responded say no.
Some wonder if the team really belongs in the playoffs. Others believe Tim Tebow's winning ways will return.
Denver won the AFC West Division and a trip to the playoffs as a result of Oakland's loss to San Diego Sunday.
The Broncos play Pittsburgh (12-4) in the opening round of the playoffs Sunday at 2:30 p.m. at Sports Authority Field at Mile High.
Fox talked about the Steelers Monday.
"They give you a lot of different looks and disguise them very well. They've got a veteran group...good players...good scheme."
"It's going to be tough sledding...there won't be anything easy against the Pittsburgh defense."
Denver QB Tim Tebow has had a rough time the last three games, after leading Denver on a remarkable string of come-from-behind victories.
"He's trying to do the best he can to help us win," Fox says about Tebow. "We had a struggle yesterday (against K.C.) throwing the ball -- that happens sometimes."
Fox says left guard Chris Kuper broke his left leg and dislocated his ankle in the first quarter of Sunday's game. He has been placed on injured reserve and is out for the rest of the season.
"He's doing fine today, I've already spoken to him."
Fullback Spencer Larsen also left Sunday's game with a sprained MCL in his knee.
Fox said he's looking for "more blue and orange than yellow and gold" this Sunday.
"We've got unique fans here. I would encourage all of them to keep their seats and not sell them to Pittsburgh fans."
Upcoming Events near Capitol Hill
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Brothers enter guilty pleas in quintuple homicide at Fero’s Bar
- Police on the lookout for BUI: Boating Under the Influence
- Gun groups rally, hand out high-capacity mags on eve of new law
- Second boat accident in 2 days hospitalizes two people
- Safeway 5th Annual Media Bagging Challenge Competition Kicks Off Fundraising Campaign
- University of Denver warns about date-rape drugs after 3 assaults
- Police look for suspect in attack on female jogger in Denver
- Two Denver children missing for 24 hours found safe
- Residents sound alarm about possible imposter knocking on their doors
- 2 arrests made in Washington Park crime spree; Police warn residents to stay alert