Local artist turning beer caps into cash | News
DENVER — Sometimes art comes from the strangest places.
Denver artist Amanda Willshire says inspiration can come from just about anywhere. Even a bottle of beer.
“I was playing around with a couple of beer caps and I was putting them together. I had previously worked with mosaics and I thought hmmm….” Willshire says of her inspiration.
So, she collected a few bottle caps. Okay, a lot of bottle caps.
“Probably fifty or sixty thousand.”
She then went to work.
It’s a labor-intensive form of art. Somebody’s got to clean, sort and smash all the caps. That task landed on a group of friends Amanda has known for years. One of those friends, Kheya Yeager, has been sorting bottle caps for a few years now.
“I’ve known Amanda for years and years…and we’d just be hanging out and drinking beers anyway,” Kheya told us.
All of this work has been paying off for Willshire. She recently sold a mosiac of Wonder Woman for $1500.
“Yeah, that’s pretty good.” says Willshire.
From pop art to pistols, just about anything can be made from bottle caps.
“I would love to do a room full of aspen trees,” Amanda told us.
All of her bottle caps come from local restaurants and pubs. It doesn’t cost her a penny for her “paint.”
So, the next time you pop the top of your favorite brewski, maybe, just maybe, you are contributing to the world of art.
Top Capitol Hill Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Report: DaVita has $300 million reserve to settle kickback probe
- Social media fuels graffiti vandalism at popular national park
- Dust storms wreak havoc on Interstate 25 near Pueblo
- Man in custody after breaking into home, running through Gov. Hickenlooper’s yard
- Police search for man accused of attacking woman on bus with box cutter
- Safeway 5th Annual Media Bagging Challenge Competition Kicks Off Fundraising Campaign
- Old pipes made young again
- One-of-a-kind boutique opens March 24 in Cherry Creek North
- Denver announces the winners of the “I Heart My Purple Recycling Cart” photo contest
- Denver Police will actively enforce underage drinking laws this weekend
- 2 arrests made in Washington Park crime spree; Police warn residents to stay alert
- Washington Park residents say houses are being marked for burglary
- Woman escapes from man accused of exposing himself, then grabbing her
- Groper attacks sixth woman in Denver
- Vehicle backs into popular south Denver restaurant